KiteboardingThere’s nowhere quite like Cape Hatteras, NC. Kiteboarders travel from far and wide hoping to score amazing sessions in one of the world’s most sought after kiteboarding locations: we are blessed with reliable wind, warm water and amazing spots. Watermen’s retreat is located directly beside REAL Watersports, the number #1 kiteboarding shop and school in the world
The Watermen’s Retreat DifferenceWhen you take an amazing location and add a private launch area, air compressors, gear lockers and friendly knowledgable staff to help you launch, it’s no wonder that Watermen’s Retreat is consistently voted a 5* kiteboarding resort. Whether you are bringing your own gear or would prefer to rent gear we’ve got you covered. Your stay includes free gear storage in private and secure waterside lockers. If you’re planning on renting gear or didn’t bring the right size kite with you, the team in the REAL Rental Shop can help set you up with the latest gear.
Learning To KiteboardIf you’re new to kiteboarding or would like to brush up on your skills, your stay at Watermen’s Retreat provides the ultimate access to the biggest and best lesson center in the world. The combination of top-level coaches, a custom syllabus, the latest equipement and miles of shallow water make the REAL Lesson Center the best place in the world to learn to kiteboard.
- Is it windy all the time?Historical data shows that we average around 22-28 days of kiteable wind per month in the summer (more than 16mph).
- Is the launch spot busy?Our launch is reserved for guests at Watermen’s Retreat plus REAL staff and kite students. We’ve deliberately scaled it to have just enough people so that there’s always someone to help you launch/land but it’s never too busy.
- What about on the waterThere’s miles of open space so it’s never busy on the water. If you want to ride the REAL Slick by yourself or with a few friends though, you are best off avoiding lunch time and after 5pm as it’s the locals favorite spot!
- I’m new to kiteboarding, can I learn there?Watermen’s Retreat is just yards from the front doors of the most succesful and professional kite school in the world. If you’d like to learn while you are here, please book your spot in advance as we are likely to be full if you choose to book your lessons last minute.
- Can I rent gear from you?Absolutely. The REAL Rental Shop is packed with the latest kite gear and you can try out as many different types of kite and board as you like. If you are a beginner we do ask that you take a lesson before we can rent any gear to you.
- What is The Planet Run?Arguably the greatest downwinder in the world begins and ends right here. The sessions starts at Watermen’s where you’ll load up with old or new friends. A short 10 minutes down the road and you’ll be on the beach rigging up. From there it’s a glorious 6 1/2 miles riding downwind through our world-famous slicks. The downwinder finishes in style, landing on the private bermuda grass at Watermen’s where a Dark & Stormy awaits.